Tue, 28 June 2022
The Daily Ittefaq

No progress on ceasefire after Russia-Ukraine talks

Update : 10 Mar 2022, 19:02

A first round of talks between the foreign ministers of Russia and Ukraine has failed to yield progress on a ceasefire, Ukraine says.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said no progress was made towards a ceasefire and corridors to evacuate civilians following a meeting with his Russian counterpart in Turkey on Thursday. 

Kuleba stated that he put forward the initiative of a 24-hour ceasefire but no progress was made, claiming that “there are other decision-makers for this in Russia,” adding that no major progress was made regarding the formation of more humanitarian corridors either. 

The official also emphasized that Ukraine “will not surrender.” 

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Kuleba started talks on the sidelines of a diplomatic forum in Antalya, marking the first meeting between the two officials since Russia’s invasion of its neighboring country began two weeks ago. 

Lavrov and Kuleba held separate press conferences following their talks. 

Describing the meeting as “difficult,” Kuleba claimed that Lavrov had brought “traditional narratives to the table.”

Lavrov, however, declined to answer any questions regarding the invasion, which he referred to as the “special military operation,” adding that this information lies with Russian President Vladimir Putin. 

The Russian minister also emphasized that Moscow was willing to continue negotiations with Kyiv as Kuleba stressed Ukraine’s readiness to continue discussions in order to end the war in his country. 

Around the same time German chancellor Olaf Scholz and French president Emmanuel Macron demanded an immediate ceasefire in a call with Russian president Vladimir Putin, according to a German government official.

Mr Macron and Mr Scholz also told Mr Putin that any resolution to the war in Ukraine needed to come through negotiations between Ukraine and Russia, and the three agreed to remain in close contact in coming days, the official said.

Mr Lavrov showed no sign of making any concessions, repeating Russian demands that Ukraine be disarmed and accept neutral status. He said Kyiv appeared to want meetings for the sake of meetings, and blamed the West for intensifying the conflict by arming its neighbour.

The city council of besieged Mariupol said the port had come under fresh air strikes on Thursday morning and Ukraine said Russia committed “genocide” by bombing a maternity hospital there on Wednesday.
The city council said three people, including a child were killed in the hospital attack.

The building was no longer used as a hospital and had been occupied by Ukrainian forces, though the Kremlin separately said the incident was being investigated, said Mr Lavrov.

 

More on this topic

Russians 'fully occupy' Severodonetsk, shift focus to Lysychansk

UK to give Ukraine long-range missile systems  

Putin says 'no problem' to export grain from Ukraine

U.S. agrees to send advanced rockets to Ukraine

More on this topic

Putin urged to hold direct talks with Zelensky

Kharkiv digs in against a new Russian assault

Putin claims Mariupol win but won’t storm Ukrainian holdout

Russia labels Kasparov and Khodorkovsky 'foreign agents'