A gunman killed two people and wounded six others in central Auckland hours before the start of the Women's World Cup. Matches held in New Zealand will go ahead as planned, PM Chris Hipkins said.
At least three people, including the gunman, died after a 24-year-old opened fire at a construction site in Auckland on Thursday, New Zealand police said.
Prime Minister Chris Hipkins said there was no national security threat and the Women's World Cup, due to get underway later on Thursday, with matches taking place in New Zealand, would still go ahead as planned.
"There was no identified political or ideological motivation for the shooting and therefore no national security risk," Hipkins said. "Aucklanders and those watching around the world can be assured that the police have neutralized the threat and that they are not seeking anyone else in relation to the incident."
What do we know about the New Zealand shooting?
At least two people were killed after a man opened fire at a construction site in New Zealand's largest city at around 7:20 a.m. local time (1920 GMT Wednesday). The site is near the fan base of the football Women's World Cup.
The gunman was known to police and said to have had a history of family violence and mental health issues.
Police said he had been subject to a home detention order but had an exemption to work at the construction site. He did not have a license to own a firearm. Police Commissioner Andrew Coster said there was "nothing to suggest he presented a higher-level risk."
"The offender fired at police, injuring an officer. Shots were exchanged and the offender was later found deceased," Coster added. "Tragically, police located two members of the public deceased on the lower levels of the building site."
The shooting in one of the busy streets in the city center was "contained and is an isolated incident," police said in a statement. "We can also advise that this is not a national security risk."
Earlier, police said a "significant incident" had occurred but said the situation had been contained to a single building that was under construction on lower Queen Street, in the city center.
Auckland Mayor Wayne Brown described the situation as "dreadful" and warned people to stay away as "police are under immense pressure."