Tue, 28 June 2022
The Daily Ittefaq

Bangladeshi woman dies in Kolkata hotel fire

Update : 12 Mar 2022, 14:36

A 60-year-old Bangladeshi woman was burnt to death and two others were injured in a fire at a guest house in Kolkata's Mirza Ghalib Street early today (March 12).

The fire started around midnight on Saturday at the Rahbar Guest House on Free School Street, according to Kolkata media reports.

The victim was identified as Shamimatul Ars, 60, a senior Kolkata Police officer said.

She could not be evacuated when the fire started. Her body was recovered after it was put out.

Twenty-eight Bangladeshi nationals were staying at the guest house at the time of the fire.

Two people, a 35-year-old Bangladeshi named Moinul Haque, and Mehatab Alam were admitted to hospital after they inhaled smoke in the fire.

It is believed the fire started from an electrical short circuit. The fire damaged 11 rooms at the hotel.

Firefighters put out the blaze after three hours of effort.  

More on this topic

Momen proposes UK for resettling 1 lakh Rohingyas

Padma Bridge opens to traffic

PM Hasina inaugurates Padma Bridge

PM to open Padma Bridge today

More on this topic

Unicef: Bangladesh floods leave 3.5 million children needing clean water

Momen arrives Rwanada to attend Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting

Remain focused on checking militancy-terrorism, maintaining peace : PM

Flood situation worsens further in northeastern, northern Bangladesh