Wed, 17 April 2024
The Daily Ittefaq

No fire safety measures despite building owners being notified thrice: fire service DG

Update : 01 Mar 2024, 16:22

Fire Service and Civil Defence Director General Brig Gen Md Main Uddin said today that there were no fire safety measures at the building on Bailey Road where a devastating fire last night left at least 46 people dead. 

Talking to reporters in front of the Green Cozy Cottage Shopping Mall around 12:30pm, Main Uddin said, "There was no fire safety in the building. There was only a small stairwell in the whole building."

He said the department had issued three notices to the building owners previously as part of routine monitoring.

"There was monitoring, so we had given notice," he added. He also mentioned that one of the rooms where people took shelter during the fire had no windows.

 

Most of the fatalities were caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, resulting from excessive smoke inhalation in closed spaces, according to Health Minister Dr. Samanta Lal Sen.

Sen, a burn wound specialist, expressed concern for the hospitalised victims, noting that all of them suffered from burns and respiratory damage, putting them in critical condition.

Most of the fatalities were caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, resulting from excessive smoke inhalation in closed spaces, according to Health Minister Dr. Samanta Lal Sen.

Sen, a burn wound specialist, expressed concern for the hospitalised victims, noting that all of them suffered from burns and respiratory damage, putting them in critical condition.

More on this topic

More on this topic